But we digress ... so how will the rest of the roster look heading into spring training of next year.
So here's the list of SF Giants that are either free agents or arbitration eligible:
- Melky Cabrera: He earned $6M this past season, but the club wants no part of this act or circus for 2013 ... he'll sign with another club for 2-yr deal worth around $8-10.
- Freddy Sanchez: He earned $6M this past season to essentially work out in Phoenix and then fly up to SF for some postseason games to watch from the dugout. Freddy, thanks for 2010, but adios!
- Angel Pagan: we think he's looking for "Aaron Rowand money" <gasp> ... we got chills just typing that. But coming off a World Championship he's looking to cash in ... we think he'll sign elsewhere for a three-year deal.
- Ryan Theriot: the man that Marco Scutaro replaced. I'm sure he's looking for a starting job somewhere, and SF doesn't appear to be a fit. If he's willing to return as a backup, the Giants will sign him, but that seems unlikely.
- Guillermo Mota: he earned $1M this past season ... even though he was suspended, he still has value as low cost alternative. Our guess the Giants will sign to another one-year deal just under $1.5M.
- Marco Scutaro: we expect the club to resign him to a two-year $17M deal, with a club option for a third year.
- Brian Wilson, last year of arbitration: our guess is that BWeezy will be wearing a new uniform next season. He earned $8.5M in 2012, and take only a slight pay cut for 2013. The risk is too great for the Giants to resign him ... they'll let him walk.
- We expect the following guys to have some raises next season ... Santiago Casilla, Sergio Romo, Buster Posey, and Gregor Blanco.
FEARLESS AND BOLD HOT STOVE MOVES
- We expect the Giants to get a CF via trade, so this is our forecast ... drum roll please ... the Giants will trade Tim Lincecum to Boston for Jacoby Ellsbury.
- LF will be platooned by Blanco and Gary Brown.
- The club will look for an inexpensive fifth starter, think Jason Marquis or a return of Kevin Correia.
- The team will look for another middle reliever, think Joe Rauch on a two-year deal worth around $6-7M.
- A trade of one of the two Brandons will take place to bolster either the 1B or SS position.
So that's it! This is what we guess will pan out in the weeks and months to come. How close will we be, who knows, but you'll know changes are a coming. What are your guesses on what might happen in the offseason?